The Coast Road Church was used for regular services from 1866 until the congregation outgrew it and moved to the new St Stephens Church in 1957.
Since then, although the congregation held at least one service per year in the old building, it had laid unused as a church. However during this time it was used as a clubrooms for the Wainuiomata Arts Society from 1972 until 2009.
In 2006 the Wainuiomata Pioneer Church Preservation Society was formed by a group of supporters who were passionate about preserving the building and churchyard, therefore preserving part of Wainuiomata's important historical and social heritage.
In July 2010 the Wainuiomata Union Church handed over the keys to the Society in a formal handing over ceremony.